Jogger Barbie's Blatherings

This blog started out as a way to track my progress in training for my first marathon on September 30, 2007. Then my first marathon ended up happening in May 2007, so now this blog is just to write about my running in general.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm a woman in my 40s who lives in Toronto with my DH and two cats, and who loves to run. Sometimes I like to write about my running. Maybe some day I'll write about something else but it hasn't happened yet.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

And it's back to running!

So far, so good. After the self-prescribed two week rest period, I hit the indoor track at the gym on Tuesday morning for a planned "easy half hour". IOW, the plan was to run kind of slow and just get a feel for what my body was doing. However, I ended up not going as slow as planned and was a little worried about how that would play out.

Not least because in the late morning I started to feel some discomfort in my hip. It is so hard to describe the sensation. It's almost like the kind of muscle cramp I would have after driving a long distance and basically keeping my left leg immobile. A diffuse not-really-pain, but not-really-normal feeling. By diffuse, I mean that I can't touch a spot and say "It starts here". There's no sense of increased discomfort or pain when I apply pressure to any point, that response being indicative of a stress fracture. And it doesn't really feel like I remember last year's injury.

In any event, so far there has been a happy ending. I woke up on Wednesday feeling fantastic, as though nothing had ever felt out of place at all. So fantastic that I ran again this morning, another half hour on the track, and a really, really good run. Not too intense, maybe a little faster than planned, but overall just a solid and satisfying short session. And the hip has felt fine all day.

But - and this is a big but - I still think the idea is rebuild distance just a little slower than I would like. That means at most 40 minutes for my next run, be it on Sunday or sometime next week. No running on consecutive days. No interval work. There are no big events coming up and I have nothing to prove. Between now and Christmas, the goal is just to enjoy running for its own sake.

Tomorrow's plan: a good calorie burn on the elliptical. Always a good idea for the last day before the weekend.

This weekend is the Toronto marathon and half marathon. The forecast right now is for a high of 12 C, a low of 6 C, and cloudy. If it's not windy, those would be really quite good conditions. We know a couple of people who are running the half, one for the first time, and are looking forward to hearing about it afterwards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home