Jogger Barbie's Blatherings

This blog started out as a way to track my progress in training for my first marathon on September 30, 2007. Then my first marathon ended up happening in May 2007, so now this blog is just to write about my running in general.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm a woman in my 40s who lives in Toronto with my DH and two cats, and who loves to run. Sometimes I like to write about my running. Maybe some day I'll write about something else but it hasn't happened yet.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

It's cloudy right now, and was clearly raining earlier, but the skies are supposed to be sunny for tomorrow's half marathon. I think the expected high is forecast to be around 17 C, which we should be getting close to around the time I'm hoping to finish. Nice running weather, overall.

My two "easy" 8 km runs this week went quite well. Tuesday was pretty much a flat route (didn't want to push too much after Sunday's long run), but at a good pace. I love tracking lap times and such with my watch. Then Thursday I did the hill run with some flat stuff before and after, at a reasonable pace. Made myself go a little faster up the hill - tried to envision running with my running buddy and talking away.

I just love running outside on these cool spring mornings. Both days it was around 7 or 8 C, good weather for tights and a long-sleeved shirt. It always takes a bit of an effort for me to force myself out the door without a jacket or gloves, because it is a bit cool and for that first minute or so it would be nice to have more clothes. But it's amazing how fast the body warms up.

As for tomorrow's half, I'm feeling reasonably rested but have stupid anxiety over this run, which is ridiculous. It's just a run, and no one but me cares what my time is. However, since I do care, hanging over me is the knowledge that my two slowest half marathons were on this course, that it's hilly, and that I would really love to do better this year. No pressure...

The smartest way to run tomorrow is as a good training run for next month's marathon. Not an LSD - if I'm feeling good, there's no way I'll be able to deliberately run slow, having run that distance before. But no real pushing or trying to run hard, either. Just a comfortable pace. Plod up the hills, take water breaks (maybe a couple more than usual - still trying to learn to drink more), and so on. I bought a waist pouch and will try eating a few sport beans somewhere in the middle, again, just for the practice.

That's the plan. We'll see how it plays out, starting about 24 hours from now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home