Jogger Barbie's Blatherings

This blog started out as a way to track my progress in training for my first marathon on September 30, 2007. Then my first marathon ended up happening in May 2007, so now this blog is just to write about my running in general.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm a woman in my 40s who lives in Toronto with my DH and two cats, and who loves to run. Sometimes I like to write about my running. Maybe some day I'll write about something else but it hasn't happened yet.

Sunday, April 08, 2007

The end of another week, two more good runs since I last wrote.

Friday being Good Friday and a stat holiday here, DH and I agreed to get up early and treat it like a work day for things like getting to the gym early, and getting the housework out of the way. It was cold and windy outside, with snow flurries, so we ran inside. My goal was 10 "easy" km on the track, followed by a 30 minute hill workout on the treadmill. Maybe it was the extra hour of sleep (gym opening an hour later than usual) but those "easy" km were still sub-5:00. Definitely not complaining but still kind of surprised. I selected a "6" intensity on the treadmill for the hill workout - it was definitely tiring but I should probably have been running harder. Next time I'll try the "7". In any event, 15 km in all so a very good run.

We wimped out again today and ran on the track, but this time at U of T. That's the second time in a couple of months and it's definitely still a nostalgia trip. Not too busy, probably because it's Easter, so I was able to pick a lane and pretty much stay in it. Total run was 18.585 km in 1:29:33 - again, faster than planned or expected.

At the same time, it was a bit of a tough run because we went out to dinner and to the symphony last night, and my body does not particularly like to run with that much food in my system. I felt like it was all digested, but as soon as the run started could feel more weight than usual in my stomach and was sort of rueing the indulgence. Still, not nearly as uncomfortable as it could have been. Needed a water and bathroom break at 12 km, and stopped to talk to DH at 15 km (he was having some issues - started getting blisters - not good), so it wasn't 18+ km continuous. However, still a good weekend run (i.e.: longer than usual run) and good prep for the Half at the end of this month.

However, I really need to learn pacing, and how to run slower on purpose. I have tried, but it feels so uncomfortable, in that my steps feel awkward and the running doesn't feel so enjoyable. It's one thing to be a little tired and naturally run at a slower pace, quite another to run at a slower pace when not particularly tired. One of those things I am not going to worry about before the Half, but will need to concentrate on while training for the marathon.

So overall I am quite pleased with the holiday weekend's running. No doubt outside, with hills and wind, my overall pace would have been slower, so I should not get too wound up about running sub-5:00 indoors. At the same time, it does make me appreciate the years of running that have helped me reach the point where getting up early and running 10 km is, 99% of the time, no big deal. It's generally my minimum morning run, since I'd rather do at least 12 km but sometimes start late and don't have time. It was very close to 10 years ago - definitely sometime in April 2007 - that I did my first and only official 10 km event, and at that time was very happy with finishing somewhere around 57 minutes. Like the old Virginia Slims ads used to say, "You've come a long way, baby".

And this baby hopes to go all the way to 42.2 km this year! Assuming no injuries or major life changes that play havoc with my training, it's in sight, it's very much possible. And that is a very exciting feeling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home