Jogger Barbie's Blatherings

This blog started out as a way to track my progress in training for my first marathon on September 30, 2007. Then my first marathon ended up happening in May 2007, so now this blog is just to write about my running in general.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm a woman in my 40s who lives in Toronto with my DH and two cats, and who loves to run. Sometimes I like to write about my running. Maybe some day I'll write about something else but it hasn't happened yet.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

So, after a weekend that was half relaxation and half chores, yesterday morning's run was pretty good. My running buddy and I did the route with the long slow hill, which both of us found a little more effort than a week before. But just having someone along helps you keep going and it never seems as long as when you do it on your own. Plus you know there's a long slow downhill on the way back. We then did a couple of rounds of the park before he headed back; I had time for one more. It was perfect autumn running weather - 5 or 6 C, quite calm, sunny. It would have been nice to keep going.

The weather forecast for tomorrow morning is warm - about 7 C - but possibly wet, so I'm not sure whether I'll be running inside or out. Although I've built up a pretty good assortment of running clothes, it doesn't include stuff to wear in the rain, mostly because I have always just avoided it. There was one spring half marathon that was cold, with intermittent bits of rain and even some hail, but mostly the weather has been okay. That's bound to change at some point and it would make sense to invest in some rain gear. Some time.

Inside or out, I would like to get past the 10 km mark tomorrow, maybe even as far as 12 km, which would mean running for about an hour instead of 50 minutes. Work is busy but not impossible so arriving a bit late wouldn't be a problem.

Something I am still enjoying is not being as concerned with distance and time per km as in the weeks leading up to the September half marathon. I still keep track of the time, and have a feel for the overall pace, but am quite happy to just know approximately how much distance that was. It would be good to do a long weekend run and track the distance, just to make sure that I'm not kidding myself about my current average speed, but for now it's wonderful to run just for the enjoyment of the motion. After Christmas it will be time to get more serious about the distances. Especially if DH and I sign up for the 30 km run at the end of March. Big IF there. I am such a wimp about running outside when it's cold and windy. The key would be to find somebody to do the whole route with, but that's a real challenge. F1 (if he signs up) is faster than me, and DH is slower. Our friends who suggested the run will do it together, at her pace, which is about the same as DH. My running buddy used to do marathons - he was in the 1976 Olympics - but at 60 he limits himself to 10 km or less. Incredibly, my circle of friends and acquaintances is not exactly overflowing with people who want to run 30 km on a Sunday morning in March.

Cats are asking for attention :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home