Jogger Barbie's Blatherings

This blog started out as a way to track my progress in training for my first marathon on September 30, 2007. Then my first marathon ended up happening in May 2007, so now this blog is just to write about my running in general.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm a woman in my 40s who lives in Toronto with my DH and two cats, and who loves to run. Sometimes I like to write about my running. Maybe some day I'll write about something else but it hasn't happened yet.

Monday, May 21, 2007

Gorgeous day here in Toronto - sunny, not too warm, just a little breezy. Today's training schedule called for 5 km, but it ended up being closer to 7 km. I ran from home and really wanted to do a major hill, but it was almost 3 km just to get to the top. So I ran until I hit 6 km and then did a combo walk/slow jog for the rest. It almost seems silly to be so careful about 1 km but I'm in the midst of taper madness and superstition!

The other reason for wanting to do the big hill was to get a fix on the distance using the Garmin. Mapmyrun.com measures it at almost exactly 1 km, but any time I have timed my down-and-up I've been surprised at how long a time it was recording and how slow it therefore meant I was going. According to the Garmin the distance is 1.27 km and that explains much.

Last week's running was pretty good. 11 km on Tuesday on the indoor track in 53 minutes. I had originally mapped out a nice outdoor run but we woke up to thunderstorms and showers, so I did an intense flat and comfortable run instead. Thursday's run was outside, about 10 km in about 49 minutes. I was tired and felt like it was work but was pleased with the final result. Even though it was annoying to hit so many red lights and reminded me why sometimes a track run is better.

Then on the weekend DH and I were in Ottawa for a wedding, and on Saturday morning we went to the downtown YMCA and used it as a base to run along the canal. It's really a nice place to run and I did a fast/race pace 16.2 km in 78 minutes. Okay - that's not really "race pace" for a marathon. But the schedule called for a reasonably intense run.

Saturday morning I also finally tested a gel and it was nowhere near as bad as I expected. Didn't make me gag on its way down, didn't cause stomach cramps, probably provided an energy boost. I took it at about the 8 km mark, along with some water, and finished the run without any GI issues. So I am going to carry a few gels for the marathon and consume at least two, maybe three. Still working out my final plan, which of course is subject to change on that day depending on how it's actually all unfolding.

The weather forecast keeps changing - the latest is a low of 10 C, high of 24 C, with 40% chance of scattered showers. Hmmm...could be worse but that's still pretty warm. At this point my plan is to wear shorts for sure, but don't know whether I'll end up in long sleeves or short ones. Long sleeves would be preferable, because then I'd have a place to stash Kleenex for my ever stuffed up and dripping nose. And I could wear my lucky Jogger Barbie shirt. But if it's going to be really hot, being trapped in long sleeves will be no fun at all.

I have decided to carry water with me instead of relying on aid stations, and on the weekend bought a single bottle belt. My fuel belt, which holds two bottles, works well but I don't really like wearing it. This belt has to sit higher, as I found out when testing it today on my 5 km run, but doesn't seem too bad. The bottle is easier to get at and it's easier to slide the belt around to get in the pocket. I'll wear it again on Wednesday's 7 km run, just to make sure, but for now it's part of my plan. Why not rely on aid stations, like I have on every other run? Because of the whole need to balance water and carbs, which I am still learning. There was a point on my Saturday run where I felt a little tired, legs were a starting to feel a bit heavy, and I thought: do what you'd do on a real run. Slow down a bit, have a bit of water, and then concentrate on form. And it worked. So I want to have that option - not be out there in the last 10 km feeling awful, with at least 2 km to go before the next water station. Maybe I don't need to carry water, but it will make me feel more secure, going in, that I at least have what I need available, when I need it. This is, after all, my Learning to Marathon marathon ;)

Still can't quite believe I'm going to cover that distance. Barring a major injury or some other unforeseen circumstance, I am strong enough to do 42.2 km. The big questions are whether I finish it running or walking, and whether I can do it under 4.0 hours. Less than a week until I find out. In the meantime, I'm trying for lots of rest, lots of water, and lots of calm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home