Jogger Barbie's Blatherings

This blog started out as a way to track my progress in training for my first marathon on September 30, 2007. Then my first marathon ended up happening in May 2007, so now this blog is just to write about my running in general.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm a woman in my 40s who lives in Toronto with my DH and two cats, and who loves to run. Sometimes I like to write about my running. Maybe some day I'll write about something else but it hasn't happened yet.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: ART has changed my life!

After tonight's session my right hip feels SO much better. Similar things have happened before but I am still always surprised by the instant relief. I should never have left it so long, but it was just a little stiff, work was so busy, kept forgetting to make the appointment, excuses, excuses, excuses... As a result, by the time I was in enough discomfort to make the appointment, my hip really, really needed the work.

Painful work. Normally ART is not that painful for me, but I guess everything was extra tight/bound up. At the same time, it's hard to describe, but it's a "good" hurt. You can feel things improving even while thinking "Ouch. And ouch. And ouch again." When my practicioner said, "Okay, stand up and see how that feels", and I looked for the pain/stiffness trigger point, it was GONE. He did a little work on my left hip as well. I didn't realise it was getting tight until it was all loosened up.

Several hours later, the surrounding muscles on my right are a little sore, but that's pretty normal, and it doesn't last long.

Today's run got swapped for the elliptical. It was hard to get up this morning, my cold was still raging, and it was tempting to just take an unplanned rest day, but at the same time I knew the day would go better if it started with some exercise. Tomorrow is supposed to be hills and I will probably do them on the treadmill instead of going outside. Yes, I know this is the winter of toughening up. But not with this cold. I'm not sick enough to stay home but I'm just "off" enough to be on the "minimize stress" work out plan. It's supposed to go down to -8 C tonight, so it will probably be well below freezing tomorrow morning. Having never run in those temperatures, I'd prefer to be feeling better in general before trying it out.

With any luck, this cold will be it for the season. Lot of people at work have been much sicker in the last week or two so I'm getting off easy so far. Counting my blessings, and all that stuff...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home