Jogger Barbie's Blatherings

This blog started out as a way to track my progress in training for my first marathon on September 30, 2007. Then my first marathon ended up happening in May 2007, so now this blog is just to write about my running in general.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm a woman in my 40s who lives in Toronto with my DH and two cats, and who loves to run. Sometimes I like to write about my running. Maybe some day I'll write about something else but it hasn't happened yet.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Just a few days - five sleeps - until Scotiabank. Today was my last "hard" run - a little over 8 km (8.2 or 8.3 according to mapmyrun.com) in 40:39. So faster than race pace, which is okay. It was humid and way too warm (19 C) and at the end I was literally dripping with sweat. After that nice stretch of cool mornings and reasonable Sundays it was hard to get used to the conditions, and I am crossing my fingers for Sunday. The current forecast is for a high of 23 C and sunny. Far from ideal, especially for those long sretches on Lakeshore in the back half, where there is no shade, but better than today when the high was a record-breaking 31 C. Lots of whining from this weather weinie who melts in the strong sun...

But the weather will be what the weather will be, and the run will go the way the run goes. More than ever I am glad that I have nothing riding on this, can just get out there and run. Do that distance for the second time, get that bit more experience. Another chance to figure out what works and what doesn't (ideally with the emphasis on the former).

Naturally, I am still working on my race strategy. The game plan for hydration and carbs is to wear my fuel belt and have GU2O energy drink in my water bottle. I've tried it a few times and it seems to be okay. Carry some salt tablets (tip from friend at the gym) to help ease muscle cramps. Get water from the aid stations. Carry a gel or two and some sport beans but hope not to need them if I fuel correctly beforehand and if the GU2O does its thing. A couple of weeks ago I ran the half marathon distance and consumed nothing except about 1/2 to 2/3 the bottle of GU2O, and felt good. Yes, a marathon is more than the sum of two halves. After Ottawa, I need no convincing of that. So the extra carbs will be there if I need them. But my stomach and entire GI system would be much happier if I didn't.

Actual running strategy? Start a little slower, and don't get carried away running with someone faster. F1 is running the half, and last year we did about the first 8 km together before he pulled ahead. At ATB in March we did about the first 21 km together before I had to slow down. It might be tempting to keep up with him - and race day adrenaline might make it possible - but I have to remember: give it all up in the first half, come up short in the second half. It's going to be difficult enough without that kind of self sabotage.

Other strategy notes: if something - especially a hip - starts to feel likes it's getting really tight, STOP AND STRETCH. It worked on a training run. If Ottawa is any indication, I'll lose way more time trying to run/walk through than I will just taking that break to try to stretch it out.

Tomorrow is my last run, an easy 8 km. I may run with my running buddy, which would help keep things easy. And then no running until Sunday. No vigorous workouts on the stationary bike. Just keeping loose and saving up energy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home