Jogger Barbie's Blatherings

This blog started out as a way to track my progress in training for my first marathon on September 30, 2007. Then my first marathon ended up happening in May 2007, so now this blog is just to write about my running in general.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm a woman in my 40s who lives in Toronto with my DH and two cats, and who loves to run. Sometimes I like to write about my running. Maybe some day I'll write about something else but it hasn't happened yet.

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Longest training run ever today, 38.09 km if the Garmin is to be believed. Total running time of about 3:26 for an average pace somewhere around 5:24/km. And that's actually a reasonably representative pace. For once I did not take off at close to race pace and then slow down later. Although the last 8 km did involve more walking than I would have liked. Part of that was my legs sending the "I'm out of fuel and need some carbs" signals, and me trying to ignore them because my GI tract was sending the "don't put anything else into this system because it's just barely hanging on" signals. Why, oh why, do I have guts of mush instead of guts of steel?!?!

Anyway, the legs won out because I needed that extra energy, with breakfast being a long way down and having consumed only one package of sport beans during the run. And the gel did give me a little extra energy, while causing a little more distress. Around the 34 km mark I was almost resigned to walking the last few km, but then I met up with a woman about my age, going about the right pace, and we ran a couple of km together. So I only had to get through the last 2 km on my own, and did walk some, but managed to finish running and in not too much distress.

Okay, so it should be said. 38 km? For a training run? What was I thinking?!?!

No, it's not something I would necessarily recommend, and I'm not sure what impact it will have on September 30. However, it was something that I psychologically needed to do. My longest training run for Ottawa was 32 km, as per the training plan, as per lots of training plans. And it was right about 32 km that my right leg seized up and never let go. For my own peace of mind, I had to get past that distance, and be okay, or go into Scotiabank with an added level of nervousness. Even last week, around the 32 km mark, I stopped and stretched things out because it felt like they might be getting tight. Today - maybe due to a consistently slower pace - I was tired but not tight. And while that doesn't make me feel relaxed about the marathon, it gives me some hope that I can finish feeling just as tired but not in as much pain.

Thus begins the taper. Only 19 km on the schedule for next weekend; I'll probably make it closer to 20 km since the distance to an obvious turnaround is almost exactly 10 km. 16 km at race pace the weekend after that, and then the full 42.2 km for real the next one. The mid-week distances don't change that much, except the last week, when I do my last run on Wednesday and that's it until Sunday.

You know, I look at these words and think how ridiculous they sound, in a way. "Only 19 km". Like it's running around the block. But at this point, assuming I remain uninjured, 19 km isn't a scary distance. It's a big enough distance, it's almost half the marathon, but it's not an "Oh my God am I going to be able to do that?" distance. Hard to believe.

It's also hard to believe that I put in 38 km today, and after a shower and some ice, am just a little stiff. Not in agony, not prone on the couch wondering how I'm going to get up tomorrow. Never would have predicted this ten years ago, but what proof of the cliche that life is full of surprises.

DH went for a long run today as well - just over two hours - and I think he's in great shape for finishing the half on September 30 with a good time. Nice to see after all the trouble he had with injuries and stuff earlier this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home