Jogger Barbie's Blatherings

This blog started out as a way to track my progress in training for my first marathon on September 30, 2007. Then my first marathon ended up happening in May 2007, so now this blog is just to write about my running in general.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm a woman in my 40s who lives in Toronto with my DH and two cats, and who loves to run. Sometimes I like to write about my running. Maybe some day I'll write about something else but it hasn't happened yet.

Friday, January 18, 2008

It's been a good week, at least in terms of training. It's year end at work and I'm pretty much exhausted from all that stuff, but it's Friday night so I'm putting it out of mind until Monday.

But unlike last week, when I took an unplanned rest day Tuesday, and switched my run to the elliptical on Friday, we got to the gym every day and I did almost everything according to schedule. Tuesday's speedwork covered more distance than usual, which means that although I came up 2 km short this morning, it pretty much balances out. One of our cats needs medicine every morning, and some days it goes down faster than others. Today was not a fast day, so my workout started late. Having to show up at the office after working out means I don't always have the flexibility to just go a little longer.

But anyway, this morning was a nice 10.24 km in 50 minutes. It started kind of slow but partway through I was able to increase the speed. Not a bad way to finish the week.

The snow we were supposed to get this weekend is no longer in the forecast, but it is going to be colder - high of -5 C tomorrow and -10 C on Sunday. Naturally I'm kind of dithering about my run. Saturday's temps would definitely be more comfortable. But I prefer doing my long runs on Sunday, and also prefer not to do one the day after a relatively fast run like this morning. Of course, it was only 10 km.

DH and I sort have plans for Saturday, but they could be switched to Sunday, but at this moment I'm pretty sure the run is going to be Sunday as usual. Of course, we can always change our minds when we get up tomorrow. That's one of the beauties of running - unless you've got plans with someone else, you have as much flexibility as your other commitments will allow. Just put on the gear and get to it.

Looking ahead, the schedule for the week is: 24 km this weekend, hills Tuesday, 12 km Wednesday, 11 km Friday. Cross training Monday and Thursday with the usual rest day on Saturday. Inevitably there are hills in my outdoor runs, and I often play a bit with the incline on the treadmill, but it's been a few weeks since my last actual hill workout. Should be fun ;)

And in the good news department, F1 confirmed that he's definitely in for Around the Bay this year. He will no doubt improve on his already great time from last year. Whereas I will probably be slower, wanting to leave more in the tank for Boston three weeks later. I really, really hope that F1 does a marathon this year and qualifies for Boston 2009 and goes. I would put off Vancouver until 2010 and do Boston again, just for the fun of sharing it with F1 and his wife. They are such great people, long-time friends of DH, and it was F1 who put me on this road in the first place by inspiring me to do a half marathon. Fingers crossed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home